Team Golovkin 'don't need' rematch clause for Canelo fight
- Gennady Golovkin will fight Saul Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday night
- Team Golovkin ‘do not need’ a rematch clause in their contract but Alvarez has
- Golovkin has knocked out 33 of his 37 opponents during his unbeaten career
‘Rematch clause?’ says Team Golovkin with a rhetorical smile. ‘We won’t need no rematch clause.’
The Kazakh KO king has no condition in his contract for a second fight in case he were to lose to Saul Alvarez in the middleweight classic for which the boxing world has been waiting three years.
The Mexican, nicknamed Canelo, and his connections have insisted upon that precautionary paragraph, since Triple G is in the habit of flattening all-comers.
Team Golovkin boast they will not need a rematch clause in their contract to fight Canelo
Golovkin has knocked out 33 of his 37 opponents in a brutal, undefeated career during which he has amalgamated all but one of the world middleweight titles.
He predicts that Alvarez will meet the same fate ‘perhaps as early as the first round’ in the T-Mobile Arena here on Saturday night, warning his A-list challenger: ‘There are no survivors of my fights.’
His trainer, Abel Sanchez, says they will let Canelo invoke that right after as many defeats as he can take: ‘Rematch clause? The more accurate term is an annuity. We’ll cash it in as many times as Canelo wants.’
Alvarez expresses similar confidence, even though the small print suggests otherwise.
Saul Alvarez and his team have made sure their is a rematch clause in his contract though
Golden Boy Promotions, named after their legendary president Oscar De La Hoya, have insisted on taking out the insurance which would bring their star attraction at least one more huge pay night in the event that Golovkin delivers on his promise.
Fairly predictable, since they kept Golovkin waiting for his defining fight until he turned 35.
Pretty sensible, too.
At 27, Canelo has a longer, big-money future to protect. His one defeat – in 51 fights which is extraordinary for one so young – can be explained by the identity of that opponent. Floyd Mayweather.
Golovkin has knocked out 33 of his 37 opponents and he is currently unbeaten in his career
The reputational damage of a loss to Golovkin would be more complex to repair.
However, there is a flip side to this priceless coin. The terms of contract deliverance confirm that is the challenger, not the champion, who is the A-side of this sell-out fight worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Canelo brings the major share of the US television pay-per-view revenue to the deal. All 20,000 seats in the Arena on the Strip have been snapped up by some of the tens of thousands of his fellow countryman who flock north to celebrate Mexico Independence weekend in Sin City.
Golovkin conceded whatever it took during the negotiations to nail down the mega-fight he has long been craving in hope of cementing his place as one of the great middleweights of all time – and as one of the top two or three pound-for-pound fighters in the world today.
Mexican Alvarez has the major share of the US television pay-per-view revenue for the fight
He says: ‘I’ve been trying to get this fight for three years.’
There are suggestions, also, that he held back from knocking out the dangerous Daniel Jacobs earlier this year to avoid scaring off Golden Boy.
He put Jacobs down early in New York but put in a somewhat muted performance thereafter to ease through to a fairly close unanimous decision.
Alvarez insists: ‘We had virtually settled the deal before that fight. I don’t believe the talk about Triple G being on the wane.’
Sanchez says: ‘They didn’t sign until after.’
Whatever the order of affairs, Golovkin, and the fans, finally have the mouth-watering fight they have long desired.
Canelo v Golovkin will be televised live on BT Sport and BoxNation Box Office this Saturday night.